Laua-an was already a pueblo before the Spanish
American War broke out. Capitan Luis Sarmiento was the first Capitan del
Pueblo. When the Filipino-American War broke out, Barbaza became an
integral part of Laua-an, because its Municipal Hall was burned. The
seat of government of Laua-an was then transferred to Barbaza through a
resolution approved by the council under the leadership of Capitan
Pursuant to the provisions of Act No. 1748 and as per Executive Order
No. 14 of Governor General James F. Smith, the seat of the Municipal
Government of Laua-an was transferred to Barbaza effective June 1, 1908.
Many of the inhabitants of Poblacion and Barangay Guisijan filed a
petition to the Governor-General that Laua-an be separated from Barbaza
with a promise that the municipal building of Laua-an will be
constructed at their own expense.
Upon the recommendation of the Provincial Board and pursuant to the
provision of Act. No. 1748, the 11 Municipalities of Antique was
increased to 12 as established by Act. No. 961 which was amended by act
Pursuant to Executive Order No. 129 issued by Governor Francis Burton
Harrison, Laua-an was declared as a Municipality on January 1, 1915.